[Padre-dev] Discussion: padre: look and feel? (1)

Claudio Ramirez padre.claudio at apt-get.be
Tue Feb 10 12:04:56 PST 2009

OS-independent toolkits have two look and feel options. One option is to
ignore being native altogether and choose to use a independent look and
feel (like nimbus for Java/Swing). The second option is to try to be as
native as possible. To me, Wx looks pretty native out of the box.
However, I suspect it *could* look and feel a lot more native with a
little effort from our part:

1. Buttons:
On my OS (Linux), padre buttons look kind of native (drawing), but they
really aren't: the button labels are typically Windows style labels (I
guess people using OSX will have the same impression).
E.g:
"No - Cancel - Yes" should be on Gnome "Close without saving - Cancel -
Save"

2. Coherence:
To retake the button example, buttons seems to be styled (left aligned,
center, end, etc.) at random order.
E.g.: The Preferences windows has left aligned buttons, while the
"save-while-closing-padre" dialog (the example in 1.) is centred.
An other style can be found on the Edit-Snippets (two rows, with Cancel
not at the bottom), while the Plugin Manager (I know it's a
frame/window) doesn't even have a close button.
An other common wrong label is calling "Cancel" a button for closing a
window (maybe it's the default on Windows, see the Edit-Find menu).

Anyway, the examples are not meant to criticise the work of the people
that contributed the code, but just a way to illustrate the need for
finding a common style.

Limiting a first step to buttons, a possible solution could be to create
a class with static method returning an array with the os-dependant
"layout" and labels. This means of course a overhead calling the static
method before creating the buttons and keeping this class up to date
with used button combinations. I think it's worth it.

Do you guys this idea is workable for the Wx use in Padre? Are there
other solutions for this problem?

C.