[Padre-dev] Releasing regular 'developer' releases.

Chris Marshall devel.chm.01 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 07:39:53 PDT 2011

The PDL project uses CPAN developers releases for
two main reasons:

(1) allow for CPAN Testers reports for added platforms
(2) allow non-developer users access to the latest features

Using CPAN Testers allows for regression and build testing
on platforms that we do not currently have active developers
using.  This make possible broad, cross-platform portability
with some ability to verify progress.

The second point is to make up-to-date PDL releases available
for non-developer users (or for developers to don't have time to
keep up with or install the latest and greatest git/svn or other
infrastructure).  For this to work, PDL must be capable of
being installed via CPAN.  This can be an issue with some
components because of tricky dependencies that must be
installed to support PDL.  The developers releases also allows
us to work through any stability and backwards compatibility
problems before an official release.

My experience with Padre is that it is still in a great deal
of flux so I'm not sure if developers releases would be
useful.  It does have the advantage that someone installing
PDL via CPAN gets the latest, *stable* version and not
the developers release without special syntax.  That would
allow you to have a semi-stable release as you currently
do and then the "this is going to break x, y, and z" ones
could be developers releases.

Cheers,
Chris