[Padre-dev] Restoring translation sources in several plugins

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Wed Dec 15 09:31:42 PST 2010

-=| Zeno Gantner, Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:25:44PM +1100 |=-

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Ahmad Zawawi <ahmad.zawawi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I also noticed that Padre 0.76 is still not uploaded to Debian
> > experimental (http://packages.debian.org/experimental/padre). Any
> > problems regarding the new version? How much time does it take for an
> > experimental package to become stable?

Oh, my! :)  Not soon, in couple of years, but read on.

> It may not be in experimental, but it is in unstable ;-)
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/perl/padre
>
> If I understand it correctly, the stability hierarchy in Debian is
>
> experimental
> unstable
> testing
> stable
>
> Normal development takes place in unstable. Packages that do not have
> release-critical bugs for a while get promoted to testing.
> Packages move from unstable/testing to stable only in a major release,
> which is a rather rare event.
>
> Experimental is only used for packages where the maintainers know
> beforehand that they may break things.
>
> I hope I got that more or less right; Damyan, correct me where I am
> wrong.

Excellent short summary. A bit more can be read on
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives

When I started working on padre package update to 0.74, I knew the
plugin API has changed since 0.63, so I needed a staging area to
prepare padre *and* plugin updates. Even if Debian has only a handful
of plugins packaged, due to time/load constraints this took me quite
some time. I didn't want to break padre for unstable users so I used
experimental.

Meanwhile 0.76 was out, there were no surprises since 0.74 so used
that release to update all packages (padre + plugins) in unstable.

Now for stable. There is a process of testing to become stable, which
takes several months. First testing is "lildly frozen", which means
that the automatic transition when a package and its dependencies are
bug-free for a certain period is halted. Migration is made only after
a justified request of the package maintainer. After some time testing
is "deeply frozen", which changes the allowed justification from
"fixes an important bug" to "fixes a serious, grave or crirical bug
and doesn't change anything else". (bug severities are explained on
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities) Finally, at some
point the release managers declare the testing gold and release it as
the new stable. The flow of packages from unstable to testing is
untapped again, an the next development cycle starts.

The current testing is in "deep freeze" and was frozen in August. It
has padre 0.63 and this is what will be in the upcoming stable. 0.76,
or more likely, some future padre version will be present in the
stable release after the upcoming one, when released somewhere around
two years from now (there are no strict schedules).

Given the rapid pace of Padre develpment and the long freeze period of
Debian releases, it is inevitable that at the time of the release, the
mainstream Padre will be leaps ahead. BTW, when I started to do the
initial package of Padre, I asked on this if such a divergence would
pose a problem and got a negative answer, so I guess things are just
normal.

Happy hacking,
        dam