[Padre-dev] Packaging plans for Padre on Windows

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 11:09:59 PDT 2009

I hope that we agreed then on keeping the sort of weekly releases but
having monthly
releases with a longer release period for translators and plugin
authors to catch-up.

For the monthly packaging releases I'd like to have several packages.
Please let me know what do you think? Would this be possible?

1) Almost-Six-0.41-19 .msi and .zip to be installed in C:\strawberry
including Strawberry Perl, Rakudo, Padre and Padre::Plugin::Perl6
as we had this time.

Later maybe also include the Parrot plugin along with Cardinal, Pipp,
Pynie and other languages running on Parrot.
Maybe this can be an IDE-for-Parrot release instead of the Almost Six release.

2) Portable-Strawberry-Padre-0.41.msi to be installed anywhere (maybe
also a zip version)
(including disk on key). Even if there are still issues we
can work them out. (Does the slowness Alias mentioned happen all the time
or only when loading the application or when loading a new module ?)

This packaging should include
- Strawberry Perl
- Padre
- Ecliptic (as long as it is separate)
-----
Later add
- Catalyst
- SVN/Gtk once they work reasonably well on Windows
- other plugins as we think they are important for windows users

Maybe this does not need to be truly portable (that is movable after
installation)
just that it can be installed anywhere.

Is this reasonable to package one every month?

Gabor