[Padre-dev] translation of perldiag.pod

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 13:19:25 PST 2008

Hi,

as 0.22 is out with it, thanks to Petar,  we can now get localized error
messages from Perl. I think this could be very useful for beginners
so they won't have to deal with the relatively cryptic errors and warnings
of Perl in a foreign language.

I know most of the programmers know English but I see in my classes how little
they are reading. Part of the reason is that for most of them reading
in English
is much more difficult than reading in their mother tongue.

I know it probably won't directly help any of you, but think about your beginner
co workers. They might bother you less if they can find out what an error
messages is about and what should they do with it?

I think it would be a great help for them to be able to read the explanations
in their mother tongue.

The French have translated most of the documentation that comes with perl
and distribute it under POD2::FR. http://search.cpan.org/dist/POD2-FR/
The Italians have also translated a lot but the perldiag translation is missing
from POD2::IT. http://search.cpan.org/dist/POD2-IT/

So go ahead, you can kick-start the translation of perldiag in your language(s)
and you can try to get others involveded from the local Perl Mongers.

And just to show you how unclear the Perl error messages are:
For a second try to think you don't know anything about perl -
you just learned a few hours ago and you encounter the following
error message:

Global symbol "$x" requires explicit package name at ..

Perldiag says:

You've said "use strict" or "use strict vars", which indicates
that all variables must either be lexically scoped (using "my" or "state"),
declared beforehand using "our", or explicitly qualified to say which
package the global variable is in (using "::").

but only in 5.10. Earlier versions started with:

You've said "use strict vars", which indicates ....

but the user wrote "use strict" so it is even less clear.

So I think I'll try to write a version in "Simlified English" or a
version for beginners
that should say something like this:

"You have forgotten to write my $x or it was written in a scope not
visible by this use of $x. Check your spelling as well."

regards and thank you everyone who has been working on Padre!
   Gabor